Music, where would we be without it? It adds a joie de vivre to moving day, and can be the difference between a stressful and thoroughly enjoyable experience. There’s something wonderful about a family dispersed around the house, humming to their favourite music as they clean their cherished home. For our money, here are the sorts of song you should consider blasting out when packing, cleaning and moving:
Packing, Cleaning & Organising Playlist
The initial stages are spent in the old home as you pack, clean and load the vans with your worldly possessions. As you are crouched on your hands and knees cleaning dirt from behind the fridge, you want to feel motivated, energised…alive! Your packing playlist should be:
- Positive: You’re doing a great job!
- Motivational: You and the team need energy, pump it up!
- Catchy: Get up, stand up and join in! With a singalong the move will be over in no time.
Here are some example tracks to keep you going:
- James Brown – I Feel Good
- Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
- Queen – Show Must Go On
- Bob Marley – Get Up Stand Up
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Downtown
- Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run
- Ben E. King – Stand By Me
- David Bowie – Heroes
- Lou Reed – Perfect Day
- Monty Python – Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
- Destiny’s Child – Survivor
Driving, Moving & Unloading Playlist
The second half of the move takes to the road. It pits you on a great adventure, the end goal being your dream home at the other end of the track. Driving and moving songs are similarly positive, with an emphasis on homecoming, family and getting the job done!
Here’s another selection of contenders for music to drive, unload and settle in to.
- Ray Charles – Hit The Road Jack
- Simon & Garfunkel – Homeward Bound
- Gabrielle Aplin – Home
- Bruce Springsteen – Thunder Road
- Bad Company – Moving On
- Young MC – Bust A Move
- All American Rejects – Move Along
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
- The Beatles – With A Little Help From My Friends
- Bastille – Get Home
- Billy Joel – Moving Out
Curate Your Own Moving Playlist
With music streaming, people have jumped at the opportunity to create and curate their own moving house playlists. There are hundreds of great playlists out there, all of which you can jump aboard and listen to as you box things up. And if these songs don’t tickle your fancy, why not create your own? Let us know how you get on; we have a growing collection and would love to add to it!