Moving House Checklist
Whether you live by a list or hate making them, they’re about to become your secret weapon as you move house. A moving house checklist will ensure you tick everything off making the whole process smoother and easier, leaving you without any doubt that you’ve got everything done.
You’ll have lists for everything from packing to utility companies, purchases to fees and all in-between. Here’s another, holistic list to add to the pile, the simplest checklist to give you the head start with your move.
You can use this to create your own sub categories, allowing you to make this moving house checklist bespoke. As a starting point, we truly believe you won’t find a better one elsewhere.
When choosing removal companies there are a few areas that need to be clarified such as:
- Parking arrangements at both companies
- Access to the house
Your New Home
Before you pack make sure you’ve checked a few essentials in your new home such as:
- Broadband speeds
- Room measurements – will your triple wardrobe really fit in the master bedroom?
- Door widths or access for large furniture
You have probably already planned changing your address with
However there are many other companies that need your new address too such as:
- Magazine Subscriptions
- PayPal (Trust us, we’ve overlooked this before and new house purchases have been sent to the old address, it’s amazing how many companies use your PayPal address for delivery details)
While you’re changing addresses, set up mail redirection with the post office so you don’t miss out on any overlapping post.
Many people will organise new schools well ahead of the move but they forget about the extras that are essential such as:
- After school clubs
- Mums and Tots
Scope out the area and see what’s available as there may be a waiting list.
We have a wealth of advice on packing but for now, all you need are a couple of lists such as:
- What you’ll need in the first 24 hours after the move
- Items to take, recycle, dump, sell or give away
- New items you may need for the home (new length curtains, carpets)
Where packing is concerned, organisation is key. Check out our tips on how to write your inventory.